Volkswagen Jetta insurance image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get budget Volkswagen Jetta insurance in Madison is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurers who can sell car insurance in Wisconsin.
- Read and learn about how car insurance works and the modifications you can make to keep rates in check. Many things that are responsible for high rates like multiple speeding tickets and a poor credit rating can be controlled by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. This article provides tips to find cheap rates and get discounts that may be available to you.
- Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote prices from multiple insurance companies. View prices
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage and see if you can save money. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a completed application and payment for the new coverage. As soon as coverage is bound, keep your new proof of insurance paperwork with your vehicle's registration.
The most important part of shopping around is to make sure you're comparing similar limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get rates from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this provides a fair price comparison and a complete price analysis.
It's hard to fathom, but a large majority of auto insurance policyholders in Wisconsin have purchased from the same company for at least four years, and just under half have never compared auto insurance rates at all. Consumers in America could save approximately $850 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most just don't grasp the amount of savings they would get if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
Determine discounts to get cheap Madison auto insurance rates
Some companies don't list their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts you could be receiving when you buy Madison car insurance online. If you aren't receiving every discount possible, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Memberships - Being in a professional or civic organization may earn a discount on your bill.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Larger auto insurance companies have a break if you buy a life policy as well.
- Senior Citizen Discount - Drivers that qualify as senior citizens are able to get better auto insurance rates.
- Multi-car Discount - Drivers who insure multiple cars with the same company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
Discounts lower rates, but most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
The information below shows the comparison of Volkswagen Jetta insurance premiums with and without discounts applied. The premium estimates are based on a male driver, no claims or driving citations, Wisconsin state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, safe-driver, marriage, homeowner, multi-car, and multi-policy discounts applied.
A list of companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include electronic funds transfer, early shopping, teen driver, good student, pay in full, distant student, and switch companies.
- State Farm offers discounts for safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, accident-free, and passive restraint.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include new move discount, newly retired, good student, exclusive group savings, new graduate, and multi-car.
- MetLife offers discounts including accident-free, multi-policy, good driver, claim-free, defensive driver, and good student.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, good student, and online signing.
When quoting, ask all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts may not be offered in your area. To see a list of insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Wisconsin, click here.
The easiest way to compare rates for Volkswagen Jetta insurance in Madison is to take advantage of the fact most of the larger companies allow for online access to give you rate quotes. The only thing you need to do is take a few minutes to give details like driver ages, daily mileage, if the vehicle is leased, and any included safety features. The data is instantly submitted to all major companies and they return quotes within a short period of time.
To check rates for your Volkswagen Jetta now, click here then complete the form.
The companies in the list below can provide price quotes in Madison, WI. If multiple companies are listed, it's highly recommended you compare several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
Detailed insurance information
The table shown below highlights different prices for Volkswagen Jetta models. Being able to understand how rates are calculated can assist in making smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Jetta S 4-Dr Sedan||$170||$350||$242||$14||$72||$848||$71|
|Jetta S 2.5 Station Wagon||$170||$350||$206||$12||$62||$800||$67|
|Jetta LE 4-Dr Sedan||$170||$350||$242||$14||$72||$848||$71|
|Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$192||$412||$242||$14||$72||$932||$78|
|Jetta SE 2.5 Station Wagon||$192||$412||$206||$12||$62||$884||$74|
|Jetta 2.0T 4-Dr Sedan||$192||$412||$242||$14||$72||$932||$78|
|Jetta SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$192||$412||$242||$14||$72||$932||$78|
|Jetta 2.0T Station Wagon||$192||$412||$206||$12||$62||$884||$74|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Wisconsin minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Premium amounts do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can alter prices noticeably.
How violations and accidents impact rates
The chart below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault claims impact Volkswagen Jetta annual premium costs for different age groups. The data assumes a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
When to get professional advice
When quoting and choosing adequate coverage, there isn't really a best way to insure your cars. Your situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining if your insurance needs could use an agent's help.
- Is water damage covered by my policy?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- Am I covered if I hit my neighbor's mailbox?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Car insurance agents near you
A lot of people prefer to buy from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from local agents is still important in Madison.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, the coverage information gets sent to insurance agents in Madison that provide free Madison car insurance quotes for your business. You don't have to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. Get lower rates without a big time investment. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a specific company, you would need to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you want a reliable insurance agent, it's helpful to know the different types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents in Madison can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
These agents do not write with just one company so they can quote policies through lots of different companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part.
If you are comparing rate quotes, it's a good idea to contact at a minimum one independent agency for maximum quote selection.
The following are Madison independent insurance agents that can give you free rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type normally can only provide a single company's rates and examples are AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so you might not find the best rates. These agents receive extensive training on their company's products and that can be a competitive advantage.
The following are exclusive agencies in Madison willing to provide price quote information.
Choosing the best auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a low price. Any good agent in Madison should know the answers to these questions.
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
Why car insurance is not optional
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Volkswagen in Madison, insuring your vehicle serves several important purposes.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability if you want to drive legally. In Wisconsin these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Jetta has a lienholder, almost every bank will stipulate that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Volkswagen at an extremely high rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Volkswagen Jetta. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you have damage to your Volkswagen as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying over $825 a year so compare rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Educate yourself about auto insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of a auto insurance policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are the usual coverages found on most auto insurance policies.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as a tree branch falling on your vehicle, a broken windshield, vandalism and damage from flooding. The maximum payout your auto insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection when the "other guys" either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Volkswagen Jetta.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/10), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Liability car insurance
Liability insurance protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU against other people's claims, and doesn't cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 25/50/10 that means you have a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a limit of $10,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see one number which is a combined single limit that pays claims from the same limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for things such as legal defense fees, repair costs for stationary objects, bail bonds, loss of income and structural damage. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Wisconsin requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/10 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
The chart below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against claims like colliding with another moving vehicle, scraping a guard rail, rolling your car, sustaining damage from a pot hole and hitting a mailbox. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Jetta to bring the cost down.
Medical expense insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for immediate expenses like surgery, EMT expenses and prosthetic devices. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
A little work can save a LOT of money
We just presented many tips how you can lower your Volkswagen Jetta insurance rates in Madison. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding affordable Volkswagen Jetta insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest rates come from a small mutual company. These companies often have lower car insurance rates on specific markets than their larger competitors like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Discount Volkswagen Jetta insurance in Madison can be purchased on the web and with local Madison insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies do not offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
More detailed insurance information is available by following these links:
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback in Madison? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Madison? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Madison Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Altima? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for 16 Year Olds in Madison? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Uber Drivers in Madison? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for 17 Year Olds in Madison? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Good Credit in Madison? (FAQ)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)