To save the most money, the best way to get discount car insurance rates is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from companies who can sell car insurance in Madison.
- It will benefit you to learn about what is in your policy and the steps you can take to drop your rates. Many rating factors that increase rates such as accidents, traffic tickets, and an unacceptable credit score can be remedied by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Keep reading for ideas to prevent rate hikes and find discounts that may have been missed.
- Compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing rates and see if you can save money. If you can save some money, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Tell your current agent or company to cancel your current coverage and submit the completed application along with a down payment for the new policy. As soon as you receive it, keep your new certificate of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
An essential thing to point out is to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to get rates from as many companies as you can. Doing this enables the most accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Regrettably, the vast majority of consumers have remained with the same car insurance company for more than four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Many consumers in Wisconsin could save $373 a year by just comparing quotes, but they don’t want to take the time to find lower-cost car insurance rates.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Madison, WI. To find the best cheap car insurance in Madison, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Lower rate quotes on Tesla Model S insurance in Madison with these discounts
Buying auto insurance is not cheap, but there could be significant discounts that you may not even be aware of. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of quoting, but occasionally some discounts must be specially asked for prior to getting the savings.
- Student in College – Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Madison and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Online Discount – Many companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up on the internet.
- Smart Student Discounts – This discount may save as much as 25% on a Madison car insurance quote. Many companies even apply the discount to college students until age 25.
- Federal Employees – Active or former government employment can save as much as 8% depending on your company.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple vehicles with the same company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving can save 10% or more on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
One last thing about discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Despite the appearance that all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won’t be that lucky.
Larger auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are shown below.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including membership and employees, driver training, good student, air bags, anti-theft, federal employee, and daytime running lights.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for multi-policy, type of vehicle, multi-car, accident-free, good driver, good student, and professional/association.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for distant student, bundle discounts, multi-car, mature driver, youthful driver, pay in full, and homeowner.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers premium reductions for anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, air bags, paperless, and teen driver.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including new move discount, new graduate, multi-car, newly retired, preferred payment discount, hybrid vehicle, and new vehicle discount.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for multi-car, accident prevention training, bundle discounts, safe driver, anti-lock brakes, and anti-theft.
- Progressive offers discounts for online signing, homeowner, continuous coverage, multi-policy, good student, and online quote discount.
- USAA discounts include safe driver, defensive driver, military installation, driver training, loyalty savings, annual mileage, and new vehicle.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be offered in Madison. To see a list of insurers who offer free Tesla Model S insurance quotes in Wisconsin, click this link.
Car insurance just makes sense
Even though it can be expensive, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
First, almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific limits of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Wisconsin these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you have insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Tesla at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for it.
Third, car insurance protects both your Tesla Model S and your assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your Tesla gets damaged, your car insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying car insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially for larger claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays more than $865 each year so compare rates at every renewal to save money.
Which car insurance company is best in Wisconsin?
Finding the top company can be difficult considering how many companies sell coverage in Wisconsin. The ranking data in the next section can help you decide which auto insurers to look at when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Madison Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The General
Top 10 Madison Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA – 92%
- Erie Insurance – 88%
- American Family – 88%
- State Farm – 88%
- Nationwide – 88%
- 21st Century – 88%
- AAA Insurance – 87%
- Liberty Mutual – 87%
- Farmers Insurance – 87%
- The Hartford – 87%
Different people need different insurance coverages
When it comes to choosing your policy, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Every insured’s situation is different so your insurance needs to address that.
These are some specific questions might help in determining if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- What is no-fault insurance?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
Compare rates but work with a local Madison insurance agent
Some consumers would prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! Professional insurance agents can answer important questions and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheap car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for neighborhood insurance agencies is especially important in Madison.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, the coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents that can give you free Madison car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. If you want to compare prices from a particular provider, feel free to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
What types of car insurance agents are in Madison?
If you are searching for a reputable agency, there are a couple of different types of agents and how they operate. Agents are considered either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it is important to understand the difference between them since it could factor into which type of agent you select.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type do not have single company limitations so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a lower price, they can switch companies in-house which makes it simple for you.
When comparing rates, you absolutely need to get some free quotes from independent agents to have the best price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with smaller companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Below is a short list of independent agents in Madison that may be able to give you comparison quotes.
- M3 Insurance
828 John Nolen Dr – Madison, WI 53713 – (608) 273-0655 – View Map
- Prairie Land Insurance Agency
2045 Atwood Ave #113A – Madison, WI 53704 – (608) 251-3009 – View Map
- Above and Beyond Insurance
6601 Grand Teton Plaza #7 – Madison, WI 53719 – (608) 203-8666 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. A lot of people use the same agent mainly due to the brand legacy rather than having low rates.
The following is a list of exclusive agents in Madison who can help you get rate quotes.
- Cheng Vang – State Farm Insurance Agent
2110 N Sherman Ave – Madison, WI 53704 – (608) 661-5700 – View Map
- American Family Insurance – Vicki Wagener Agency LLC
1633 Thierer Rd – Madison, WI 53704 – (608) 249-2184 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Laura Beck Nielsen
1915 Winnebago St #102 – Madison, WI 53704 – (608) 237-3747 – View Map
Deciding on a insurance agency is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Madison?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Madison?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?