If you want to save money, the best way to find cheaper quotes for Mercury Montego insurance in Madison is to compare prices once a year from different companies in Wisconsin. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
First, try to comprehend the different coverages in a policy and the modifications you can make to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that cause high rates like high-risk driving behaviors and a substandard credit history can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Later in this article we will cover the details to get better rates and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
Second, request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes for many different companies.
Third, compare the new rates to your existing rates and determine if cheaper Montego coverage is available. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
One thing to point out is to compare the same amount of coverage on every quote request and and to look at as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and many rates to choose from.
It's an obvious assumption that auto insurance companies don't want their policyholders to compare prices. Drivers who get comparison quotes at least once a year are likely to switch to a new company because there is a high probability of finding a cheaper policy. A study discovered that consumers who regularly shopped around saved an average of $850 each year compared to policyholders who never compared rates.
If finding the best rates on insurance in Madison is your goal, then having an understanding of how to shop and compare auto insurance can make the process more efficient.
If you have a current auto insurance policy or are just looking to switch companies, you can use this information to reduce the price you pay while maximizing coverage. Our objective is to help educate you on how insurance works. Smart shoppers only have to learn the quickest method to compare company rates instantly.
The auto insurance companies shown below provide free rate quotes in Madison, WI. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you compare several of them to get the lowest price.
Companies offer many types of discounts on Mercury Montego insurance in Madison
Some companies don't necessarily list their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts you could be receiving when you buy Madison auto insurance online.
- Distant Student Discount - Any of your kids who attend college more than 100 miles from Madison and don't have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- One Accident Forgiven - This isn't a discount exactly, but some insurance companies will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you have no claims for a set time period.
- Federal Government Employee - Federal government employees may qualify for a discount when you quote Madison auto insurance with a few insurance companies.
- Paperwork-free - Certain companies give back up to $50 simply for signing on their website.
- Anti-theft System - Vehicles with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
Don't be shocked that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride.
Popular insurance companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, homeowner, continuous coverage, good student, and online signing.
- SAFECO offers discounts including drive less, anti-theft, multi-car, homeowner, and safe driver.
- American Family may include discounts for good student, Steer into Savings, mySafetyValet, accident-free, and defensive driver.
- MetLife has savings for claim-free, defensive driver, good driver, multi-policy, good student, accident-free
- GEICO has discounts for defensive driver, emergency military deployment, military active duty, federal employee, and daytime running lights.
- The Hartford discounts include defensive driver, bundle, vehicle fuel type, air bag, anti-theft, driver training, and good student.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every insurance company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts may not apply to policies in Madison. If you would like to see a list of providers that offer discounts in Wisconsin, click this link.
When to get advice from an insurance agency
Some consumers would rather have an agent's advice and that is a personal choice. Most agents can point out coverage gaps and help in the event of a claim. An additional benefit of comparing rate quotes online is you can get lower rates and still have a local agent. Supporting small agencies is important especially in Madison.
Once you complete this short form, the quote information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Madison that provide free Madison auto insurance quotes for your business. There is no need to find an agent due to the fact that quote results will go to you. If you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, you would need to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right insurer requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions you should ask.
- When do they do policy reviews?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
After getting answers to your satisfaction to any questions you may have and locked in a price quote, you may have just found an insurer that meets the criteria to insure your vehicles.
What Determines Mercury Montego Insurance Rates?
Many different elements are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but some are not as apparent like your vehicle usage or your commute time.
The factors shown below are some of the major factors companies use to determine your rates.
- Youthful drivers cost more - Older, more experienced drivers are viewed as being more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and get fewer tickets. Inexperience drivers are statistically shown to be easily distracted when behind the wheel so car insurance rates are higher.
- Does your occupation cost you more? - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Careers like military personnel, executives, and financial analysts tend to have higher average rates because of intense work situations and long work days. On the other hand, careers such as scientists, students and homemakers pay lower than average rates.
- Fewer miles means better rates - The higher the miles on your Mercury in a year the higher your rates will be. Most companies charge rates partially by how you use the vehicle. Autos that are left in the garage get more affordable rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. A policy that improperly rates your Montego may be costing you. Make sure your vehicle rating shows annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Do safer cars cost less to insure? - Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. The safest vehicles protect occupants better and lower rates of occupant injuries translates directly to fewer claims and thus lower rates. If your Mercury Montego is rated at least an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may cost less to insure.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference - The type of car, truck or SUV you need insurance for makes a substantial difference in your premium level. Economy passenger vehicles generally receive the lowest base rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Deter car thieves - Choosing a vehicle that has a built-in theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all help prevent your car from being stolen.
- Men pay more for insurance coverage - Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn't mean women are better drivers. Men and women get in at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but the males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also receive more major tickets like driving under the influence (DUI).
Three good reasons to insure your Montego
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Madison, car insurance serves an important purpose.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability coverage in order to be legal. In Wisconsin these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Mercury has a lienholder, most banks will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your Mercury for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your car and your personal assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your car outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Madison is overpaying more than $800 each year so compare rates once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Compare but don't skimp
We covered a lot of techniques to save on Mercury Montego insurance in Madison. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the higher your chance of finding low cost Madison auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best price on insurance is with the smaller companies.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, questionable increases in premium, being labeled a high risk driver and an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a great new company is actually quite simple.
There are still a few companies who don't offer online rate quotes and these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agents. Cheaper Mercury Montego insurance in Madison is attainable online and also from your neighborhood Madison agents, so you need to compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
Much more information about insurance in Wisconsin can be found at these links:
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Madison Car Insurance Quotes for Low Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback in Madison? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Immigrants in Madison? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Madison Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Unemployed Drivers in Madison? (FAQ)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)