It’s an obvious conclusion that car insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. Drivers who shop around for the cheapest price are likely to buy a different policy because they have good chances of finding a policy with better rates. A recent auto insurance study revealed that consumers who compared rates regularly saved an average of $860 a year compared to people who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding budget-friendly rates on car insurance is why you’re reading this, then knowing how to shop for insurance can help you be more efficient.
The easiest way to get the cheapest Mercury Milan insurance in Madison is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in Wisconsin. This can be done by following these guidelines.
- Try to comprehend what is in your policy and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a not-so-good credit score can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes for a wide range of companies. Get quotes now
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy and see if you can save money. If you can save some money and change companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
A tip to remember is to make sure you’re comparing the same amount of coverage on every price quote and to quote with as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Save Money with These Tips
Lots of factors are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, but some are not as apparent such as your credit history or your commute time.
The following are some of the items utilized by car insurance companies to help set your prices.
Why do you need liability coverage? – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance kicks in if ever you are responsible for personal injury or accident damage. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to comp and collision, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
Job stress can affect rates – Careers such as military generals, airline pilots, and emergency personnel are shown to have the highest average rates in part from job stress and lots of time spent away from family. On the other hand, occupations like scientists, athletes and the unemployed generally pay rates lower than average.
Better insurance rates on cars with good safety ratings – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and fewer serious injuries translates into savings for insurance companies which can mean better rates for you. If your Mercury Milan scored better than an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you may qualify for a discount.
Your car’s features help determine rates – Purchasing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can save you a little every year. Systems that thwart thieves such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can help prevent auto theft.
Drive less and pay lower prices – The higher the miles on your Mercury every year the higher your rates will be. Most insurance companies calculate prices based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks that sit idle most of the time cost less to insure than those that get driven frequently. Having the wrong rating on your Milan may be wasting your money. It’s a good idea to make sure your insurance policy is showing the correct driver usage.
Premiums increase with driving tickets – Being a careful driver has a huge affect on how much you pay. Getting just one speeding ticket can increase rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers get better rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers unfortunate enough to have dangerous violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state in order to keep their license.
The chart below highlights how speeding tickets and at-fault accidents can influence Mercury Milan insurance prices for different age groups. The premiums assume a married male driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Expect high rates for teens – Older people have been proven to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and are generally more financially stable. Drivers with little experience have been known to be inattentive and easily distracted behind the wheel so they pay higher insurance rates.
The next chart assumes a single driver, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
The quickest way to compare rates for Mercury Milan insurance in Madison is to know auto insurance companies allow for online access to provide you with free rate quotes. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is take a few minutes to give details including if you are currently licensed, how you use your vehicles, the make and model of your vehicles, and whether you have decent credit. The rating information gets transmitted to insurance companies and you will receive price estimates with very little delay.
To find lower affordable Mercury Milan insurance rates now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Madison.
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in Madison, WI. To get cheaper car insurance in Wisconsin, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Insurance coverage details
The information below highlights a range of insurance prices for Mercury Milan models. Having insight into how premiums are calculated can help drivers make smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Milan Premier AWD||$186||$284||$256||$16||$76||$818||$68|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Wisconsin minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Rate information does not factor in specific Madison garaging location which can increase or decrease insurance rates substantially.
Here’s why car insurance is not optional
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Mercury Milan in Madison, paying for car insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Wisconsin these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Mercury Milan, most lenders will require that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Mercury at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them for it.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your car. It will also cover all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the price paid, especially if you ever need it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying more than $800 each year so compare rate quotes at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Lower-cost Madison insurance rates with discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t list all possible discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below contains some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you may qualify for.
- Military Rewards – Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Membership in Organizations – Having an affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups may earn a discount on insurance.
- Online Discount – Some of the larger companies will provide an incentive for completing your application on the web.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for multiple cars with one company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and earn discounts up to 10% off your Madison car insurance quote.
- Student Discounts – Being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Early Signing – Some larger companies reward drivers for signing up prior to your current Milan insurance policy expiring. You may see this discount when you get Madison car insurance quotes online.
One last thing about discounts, most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Mercury Milan insurance premiums with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The premium estimates are based on a female driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, Wisconsin state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
If you would like to choose from a list of companies who offer online Mercury Milan insurance quotes in Madison, click here.
Auto insurance is available from local agents
Many drivers still like to have an agent’s advice and that is just fine! Licensed agents are highly skilled in risk management and give you someone to call. The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
Upon completion of this short form, your information gets sent to agents in your area that provide free Madison car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. If you have a need to quote rates for a specific company, you just need to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Any agent in Madison should be willing to answer these questions.
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- How long has the business existed?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Does their agency support local causes in Madison?
If you need to find a good insurance agency, it’s important to understand the different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Madison agents may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both types of agents can handle auto insurance, but it’s worth mentioning the subtle differences because it may have an impact on your agent selection.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies generally can only insure with one company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell which aids in selling service over price.
The following is a list of exclusive agencies in Madison willing to provide price quote information.
Agents in the independent channel often have many company appointments so they can quote policies with lots of companies and get you the best rates possible. If premiums increase, your policy is moved internally and you don’t have to do anything. When comparison shopping, we highly recommend that you get several quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agents in Madison that can give you price quote information.
Best auto insurance in Madison
Finding the top insurance provider can be a challenge considering how many companies sell coverage in Wisconsin. The ranking data displayed below could help you choose which coverage providers you want to consider to insure your vehicles.
Top 10 Madison Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA – 92%
- Erie Insurance – 88%
- American Family – 88%
- State Farm – 88%
- Nationwide – 88%
- 21st Century – 88%
- AAA Insurance – 87%
- Liberty Mutual – 87%
- Farmers Insurance – 87%
- The Hartford – 87%
Top 10 Madison Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The General
Car insurance can be complex
When it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent, there is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your financial needs are unique so this has to be addressed.
These are some specific questions can help discover whether or not you may require specific advice.
- What are good deductibles for a Mercury Milan?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
If you’re not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
One last thing about your coverage
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
Some auto insurance companies do not offer price quotes online and many times these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent agents. Lower-priced Mercury Milan insurance in Madison can be sourced both online and from local insurance agents, so compare prices from both so you have a total pricing picture.
Much more information about auto insurance in Wisconsin is located at the links below
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for 16 Year Olds in Madison? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota Corolla in Madison? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Madison Car Insurance Rates for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)