It takes a few minutes, but the best way to save money on auto insurance rates in Madison is to compare quotes annually from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in Wisconsin. This can be done by following these steps.
- Get an understanding of individual coverages and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that cause high rates such as multiple speeding tickets and poor credit rating can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Read the full article for information to get cheaper coverage and find overlooked discounts.
- Compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple companies. Find a Madison insurance agent
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium and determine if there is any savings. If you can save some money and switch companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Tell your current agent or company to cancel the current policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application for your new coverage. Immediately upon receiving it, put the new certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location.
A good tip to remember is to compare similar coverage information on each quote and and to get price estimates from as many carriers as you can. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and a good representation of prices.
It's easy to assume that car insurance companies don't want you comparing rates. Drivers who shop around for better prices will presumably switch insurance companies because there is a good chance of finding a cheaper policy. A recent insurance study discovered that people who routinely shopped around saved $3,500 over four years compared to people who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding budget-friendly car insurance is your ultimate target, learning the best way to compare coverages can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
Choosing the best rates in Madison is actually not that difficult if you follow our advice. If you are already insured or need new coverage, you can use this information to save money without having to cut coverage. Shoppers only need to know the least time-consuming way to compare prices from many companies at once.
Getting a cheaper price on Chevy Cobalt insurance is surprisingly easy. Drivers just need to take the time comparing price quotes from online providers.
The following companies provide quotes in Madison, WI. If your goal is to find the cheapest auto insurance in WI, we recommend you get price quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Lower rate quotes on Chevy Cobalt insurance in Madison with these seven insurance discounts
Some providers don't always publicize every possible discount in a way that's easy to find, so the below list has a few of the more common and the harder-to-find credits available to you.
- Bundled Policy Discount - When you have multiple policies with one company you could earn a discount of up to 20% off your total Cobalt insurance premium.
- Online Discount - Many insurance companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application over the internet.
- Discount for New Cars - Putting insurance coverage on a new Cobalt may earn a small discount since new vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Club Memberships - Being a member of a qualifying organization is a simple method to lower premiums on your bill.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Multiple Vehicles - Having multiple vehicles with one company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings of 20% or more.
Remember that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that it's possible to get free car insurance, it's just not the way it works.
The example below shows the comparison of Chevy Cobalt car insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the rates. The data is based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, Wisconsin state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, marriage, and homeowner discounts applied.
Large insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- Farm Bureau has savings for good student, youthful driver, 55 and retired, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- State Farm may have discounts that include good student, good driver, anti-theft, accident-free, student away at school, safe vehicle, and driver's education.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, online quote discount, good student, homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and online signing.
- Allstate has discounts for premier discount, new car, farm vehicle, resident student, auto/life discount, multi-policy, and FullPay discount.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including good student, business or organization, easy pay, defensive driving, and anti-theft.
- MetLife offers discounts for accident-free, claim-free, defensive driver, good student, and multi-policy.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts listed above may not apply in Madison. If you would like to choose from a list of providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Madison, click here.
Insurance rate breakdown
The premium information below showcases detailed analysis of insurance coverage prices for Chevy Cobalt models. Having knowledge of how insurance prices are calculated is important for you to make informed decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Cobalt LS 4-Dr Sedan||$148||$434||$294||$18||$88||$982||$82|
|Cobalt XFE 4-Dr Sedan||$148||$434||$294||$18||$88||$982||$82|
|Cobalt LS 2-Dr Coupe||$170||$434||$324||$20||$98||$1,046||$87|
|Cobalt XFE 2-Dr Coupe||$170||$434||$324||$20||$98||$1,046||$87|
|Cobalt LT 4-Dr Sedan||$170||$434||$294||$18||$88||$1,004||$84|
|Cobalt LT 2-Dr Coupe||$192||$434||$324||$20||$98||$1,068||$89|
|Cobalt SS Turbo 2-Dr Coupe||$214||$564||$324||$20||$98||$1,220||$102|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Wisconsin minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in zip code location which can influence price quotes greatly.
The information below demonstrates how choosing different deductibles and can impact Chevy Cobalt insurance costs for each different age category. The price estimates are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
Car insurance rates by gender and age in Madison
The illustration below compares Chevy Cobalt auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. The data assumes no violations or claims, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
You may require the services of an agent
Certain consumers just want to buy from a local agent and that can be a great decision Most agents can help you choose the best coverages and give you someone to call. A good thing about comparing rates online is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, the quote information is submitted to participating agents in Madison that can give you free Madison auto insurance quotes for your coverage. You won't even need to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent to you directly. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, you would need to find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding a good insurance company should include more criteria than just a cheap price. Some important questions to ask are:
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Madison?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
Below are agents in Madison that are able to give price quote information for Chevy Cobalt insurance in Madison.
- The Curtis Agency
2929 Atwood Ave - Madison, WI 53704 - (608) 250-2501 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance - The Arttus Agency
624A Struck St - Madison, WI 53719 - (608) 271-9395 - View Map
- American Family Insurance - Jennifer Haack Agency LLC
3312 Packers Ave - Madison, WI 53704 - (608) 249-2182 - View Map
- GEICO Insurance Agent
2001 W Beltline Hwy Suite 100 - Madison, WI 53713 - (608) 242-9322 - View Map
After talking to the agent and getting satisfactory answers to your questions as well as offering an affordable quote, it's a good possibility that you have found a company that meets the requirements to service your policy. Just be aware that it's your policy and you can cancel your coverage for any reason so don't think that you are permanently stuck with a specific company for the full policy term.
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there isn't really a cookie cutter policy. Every situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. These are some specific questions might help in determining if your insurance needs could use an agent's help.
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Is pet coverage available?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
- What does roadside assistance cover?
- I don't drive much so do I pay less?
If you're not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
The coverage is in the details
Learning about specific coverages of your auto insurance policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Auto insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you'll find typical coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
This coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Cobalt.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/10 in Wisconsin), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
This provides protection from damage or injury you incur to other people or property in an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show policy limits of 25/50/10 that means you have a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $10,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for things such as loss of income, bail bonds and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but buy higher limits if possible. Wisconsin state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/10 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
The chart below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not be adequate coverage.
Collision coverage covers damage to your Cobalt from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims like sideswiping another vehicle, sustaining damage from a pot hole, scraping a guard rail and colliding with another moving vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your Cobalt to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like fire damage, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, falling objects and hail damage. The most a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle's value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Medical costs insurance
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for short-term medical expenses like dental work, prosthetic devices, ambulance fees and doctor visits. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
One last note
You just learned quite a bit of information on how to lower your Chevy Cobalt insurance premium rates in Madison. It's most important to understand that the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding affordable Madison auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small local company. Some small companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
Cheaper auto insurance in Madison can be purchased both online and from local agencies, so get free Madison auto insurance quotes from both of them so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies do not offer online price quotes and many times these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Madison Auto Insurance for 19 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for High School Students in Madison? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Police Officers in Madison? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don't curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)